Visconti pens & Visconti fountain pens
Silver or gold filigree is one of the oldest Italian goldsmithing arts. This art, passed on from father to son, is a part of Italian culture. Unfortunately due to the very high costs of such technique and to the fact that it is totally handmade, only few experts are left Italy. Visconti is proud to have designed and produced, together with one of this great craftsman, this unique handmade filigree fountain pen: the “Taj Mahal”.
1. Drops of silver, or gold, are melted and wires of the required sizes are made.
2. With the help of a simple round piece of wood, a needle and the ability of the hands the silver wire is bent into the required shape: a flower, the frame, the decorations.
3. Frame (perimeter) is ready and is assembled with the internal main decorations, in this case flowers.
4. Using a special silver powder, the main frame is welded.
5. Main frame is now filled with smaller decorations which must be first hand-bent from wires. The size (diameter) of decorations is normally smaller than the main-frame.
6. The plate is ready! Now it is necessary to roll, by hammering the plate over a solid steel rod. After welding the seem a test is made on the pen to check the final work. Over 30 hours of work are necessary to complete one plate.
These were some of the initial considerations Visconti took when they looked at what fine writing instruments to create for their Twenty-Fifth Anniversary. The Taj Mahal is one of the finest pieces they have created, and this 25th Anniversary edition does not disappoint.
Below are pictures on the pen, and it has a medium nib on it. The last picture shows the 4 limited edition fountain pens that Visconti released for their 25th anniversary.
For the 25th Anniversary Visconti has chosen a tasteful Ivory resin for the body of the pen. To compliment the Ivory, Rose Gold Vermeil (Sterling Silver plated in Rose Gold) Filigree adorns the pen in spectacular design and attention to detail. Employing the power filling system, and boasting a 23kt Palladium nib, this pen is a work of art, and one that can be used and enjoyed for decades to come.
MSRP $3750. This pen is number 2/25